Nuotrauka

:DD čia bėje netikras Jobso Twiteris :)

Redagavo Magnumas

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą
Dalintis kituose puslapiuose

Humor: The iPad 2 Launch Song

Nuotrauka

Can’t have enough of the iPad 2 launch event? Seen all the videos and bonuses? Well here is something that will most certainly make your lonely Saturday evening. Some folks took Steve Jobs’ presentation, auto-tuned it and made a great song out of it.

Hahah funny :D

---

iPad 2 3G is "World-Mode"

Nuotrauka

One little-noticed upgrade to the AT&T iPad 2's 3G radio will make a big difference to many users outside the US and international travelers: the refreshed tablet now supports quad-band UMTS, like the iPhone 4. The original iPad, as well as the iPhone 3G/3GS, only had tri-band UMTS, omitting support for the 900 MHz band common in Asia and parts of Europe. The Verizon model's CDMA radio, on the other hand, is compatible with very few carriers' networks worldwide, making it a poor choice for globetrotters.

One of the complaints about the iPhone 3G, and its successor the 3GS, was that it supported only AT&T's 850 and 1900 MHz UMTS bands, and the 2100 MHZ band used in Europe and Asia. Many carriers in Australasia, however, use the 900 MHz band, especially in rural areas, and since the European Commission opened up the 900 MHz band in 2009, carriers in Europe expanded their offerings in that frequency range as well. 900 MHz is attractive in less populated areas, because lower frequencies travel further and penetrate buildings more easily than the higher frequencies do, which means carriers don't have to deploy as many base stations. As a result, when the iPhone 4 included support for the UMTS VII operating band, it came as a relief to users in these areas. Previously, the best available to users of these carriers was slow EDGE or even GPRS service.

The GSM iPad's inclusion of 900 MHz support, then, means that the same device can be used with many carriers in Europe, Asia, and the Antipodes, where Vodafone offers rural 3G coverage using 900 MHz in Australia and New Zealand, The Verizon iPad may not be the best choice for international travelers, as its EV-DO Rev. A radio isn't compatible with many systems. However, for people who travel mostly between the US, Canada, and Mexico, the Verizon iPad should work just fine, as CDMA is fairly common in those countries.

Good

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

Apple Asks Developers To Update Apps for iPad 2

Nuotrauka

In a note posted on the iOS Dev Center and, most specifically, on the webpage that lists the new features of the upcoming iOS 4.3, Apple is asking developers to update their apps for the iPad 2 to take advantage of the improved hardware performances of the device.

With a new A5 dual-core chip running at 1 Ghz per core, Apple clearly mentions that most operations inside applications will be faster “ouf of the box” but developers can further tune their software with tools like OpenGL Profiler for “greater performance”. Even though Apple hasn’t stated how much RAM went inside the iPad 2, the A5 chip alone should be twice as fast than the A4 in iPad 1 with graphic performances up to 9x faster. Most apps will be generally faster on the iPad 2, but developers can manually update their apps to use the new iPad 2 hardware if they want to.

Developers are also asked to enhance their apps “with new user experiences” thanks to the iPad 2 cameras and gyroscope + accelerometer. While the possible implementations of rear and front-facing cameras are pretty obvious (self portraits and HD video, expect a lot of Photo Booth and iMovie alternatives coming from 3rd party developers), Apple has put the focus on the precision granted by the combination of gyroscope and accelerometer with “6-axis of motion sensing, including user acceleration, full 3D attitude, and rotation rate”.

The iPad 2 will be released on March 11 and it will come with a special version of iOS 4.3 (containing FaceTime and Photo Booth) pre-installed.

---

iPad 2 Online Sales to Start March 11th at 12:01PST

Online sales of the iPad 2 are scheduled to begin on March 11th at 12:01 PST, according to Apple sales representatives.

Both MacRumors forum members and MacAppsDaily have posted screenshots where Apple employees confirm the iPad 2's online availability.

9to5Mac has heard that in-store reservations will not be allowed initially.

Spoke with an Apple store chat representative: Confirmed online sales begin at 12:01am PST on 3/11/2011. Additionally, the in-store pick up reservations will not be allowed initially, according to the chat rep.

It's strange for Apple not to provide online pre-orders when releasing a device. It's also unclear if Apple will offer next day shipment as the 11th is a Friday and Saturday delivery usually costs much more. Perhaps they are looking to generate long lines. A 5:00pm release time gives people the entire day to get in line.

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

:o

---

Lines for iPad 2 Launch Begin as 'iJustin' Camps Out Once Again

Nuotrauka

Justin Wagoner's tent outside temporary Knox Street store in Dallas

With the iPad 2 set for launch at 5:00 PM on Friday and Apple not offering pre-orders, those looking to get their hands on the updated tablet device as soon as possible may find themselves facing long waits to secure spots near the front of their respective lines. And just like with the iPhone 4, Dallas resident Justin Wagoner has already pitched a tent outside his local Apple Store in order to be first in line for the iPad 2 launch on Friday.

One catch for Justin is that the Knox Street retail store that has been the usual location for his campouts is currently closed for expansion, with Apple now operating out of a temporary location around the corner.

Nuotrauka

Nu įdomiai įdomiai. :o Jau rikiuojas... :o

Manau jau kitą šeštadienį ar sekmadienį turėsim tikrų, gerų apžvalgų... :(

Redagavo Moo

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

iOS Game Developers Excited About the iPad 2 Graphics

Nuotrauka

After the announcement of the iPad 2 last week, we reported developer Firemint, well known for its award-winning Real Racing series, announced they were seriously interested in updating their iPad game for the new device, and had actually been considering its tech specs for a while, even before the official announcement from Steve Jobs. Firemint sort of knew the iPad 2 would be thinner and lighter for a better handling, have a faster processor for improved graphics, and so forth. The iPad 2 has an Apple A5 CPU with graphic performances up to 9 times faster than the iPad 1 — a feature Apple is promoting and Steve Jobs mentioned multiple times on stage. With the iPad 2 available later this week, Firemint will be able to test its updated version of Real Racing HD with gyroscope support, better graphics and perhaps a new control system built around the new tablet form factor.

Firemint, however, isn’t the first game developer that’s excited about the possibilities offered by the iPad 2. MacNN reports industry-leading company Unity has announced that, in spite of their framework already working with dual-core processors like the A5, they’re going to “really fine tune and really optimize it to run fantastic on the iPad.” We guess iOS developers relying on Unity will take advantage of the new features available once the engine is updated with full iPad 2 support.

What about the popular Unreal Engine 3? Epic VP Mark Rein (Epic Games is the company behind the Unreal Engine, or games like Infinity Blade for iOS — based on Unreal) says the iPad 2 is already capable of taking advantage of the iPad 2′s improved performance:

You can see Unreal Engine 3, what happens as we get more power, you can take a PC and put a much more powerful graphics card in, and turn all the dials up in your game to get more detail, more textures, more shaders — things like that. Clearly those are the kinds of opportunities here. More CPU means potentially more physics and more enemies on the screen, a wider view of an environment. It’s just really fantastic.

These are interesting days to see how game developers are quickly announcing support for the iPad 2, unveiled last week and available “on short notice” this Friday. I wonder how many games with “iPad 2 support” in the changelog will be released next week, and how many will need additional weeks to pop up in the App Store. In the coming months, it would be nice to see Apple update its App Store interface to specify features only available for certain devices — it didn’t happen with the powerful iPhone 4, but we’re betting on the iPad 2 to bring an easy-to-read tech specs page to the App Store this time.

Na to ko ir galėjom tikėtis. :thumbsup4: Dabar reik palaukt penktradienio kokio, ir gal jau net kokį sekmadienį išvysim gerą review'ą. ;)

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

Net susimėčiau, kai pamačiau... ;)

The iPad 2

Yeah, You’re Gonna Want One.

Nuotrauka

In January 2010, shortly after its unveiling, I first got my hands on an iPad. My initial reaction? “The iPad is like holding the future.” And that’s funny because here we are, just a little over a year into that future, and something new has come along that makes holding the iPad 1 feel like holding the past: the iPad 2.

A week ago, after its unveiling, I got some hands on time with the new hardware and my initial assessment was that it pushed a device that already had no true competition, even farther ahead. But now I’ve had the chance to actually use the thing non-stop for a week. Is my feeling the same?

Actually, it’s even stronger.

The original iPad was considered a huge hit — but that was with no real competition. The iPad 2 has some competition — right now, the Xoom, and many more are coming. But I have no doubt that the iPad 2 will be an even bigger hit than the original.

Nuotrauka

Hardware

Here’s the peculiar thing about the iPad 2: if you’re just looking at it head on, it doesn’t really look any different than the iPad 1. Sure, there’s a tiny camera just above the screen, but you can barely see that. Unless you get the white version, it will be just like looking at the iPad 1. And that will undoubtedly lead some people to conclude that the iPad 2 isn’t that big of a deal. But as is the case with most Apple products, you really have to use it to safely make that assessment.

The single biggest change form a physical perspective is the thickness. Holding the original iPad now feels a bit like holding a slightly bulky monitor compared to the iPad 2. The iPad 2 feels much more like holding a clipboard — albeit a mildly heavy one. The move to cut the thickness from 13.4mm down to 8.8mm really makes a huge difference when you switch from holding one to holding the other.

And while the iPad 2 isn’t actually all that much lighter than the iPad 1 (about 700g versus 600g — depending on if you get the 3G or WiFi version, obviously), the change in thickness almost tricks you into thinking it is significantly lighter.

Overall, the device has a much more fluid design. Apple notes that the body now consists of two parts instead of the three that made up the iPad 1. This makes it feel even more solid, and even more like a natural object instead of a machine.

The tapered edges of the iPad 2 feel better in your hands. And those edges also make the buttons on the side and top more pronounced (and a bit easier to use). Of course, the tapered bottom also makes the dock connector a bit harder to use, but that’s a minor nit.

Nuotrauka

Perhaps my favorite small upgrade is the main button. Previously, it was a somewhat heavy and loud click. Now it’s a light and quiet click.

As you’ve undoubtedly heard by now, the cameras on the device are not great. But it’s hard to imagine anyone using this as a point-and-shoot camera replacement — or even a smartphone camera replacement. Instead, the cameras are clearly meant for FaceTime and to shoot 720p HD movies (with the back camera) that can then be edited on the fly using the new iMovie app (more on that below).

The battery life remains excellent. Apple made a point of saying that despite the new thinness, they didn’t sacrifice battery life. From my use this past week, that does seem to be the case.

But the biggest changes to the hardware that people will care about are undoubtedly the upgraded processor and RAM. Apple has stated that the iPad 2 uses their new A5 chip, which is a dual-core chip, meaning it’s much more powerful than its predecessor, the A4. They have not said anything in terms of the RAM included in the iPad 2, but it seems fairly obvious at this point that it has double the RAM (512 MB) of the original iPad, putting it on equal footing with the iPhone 4.

Do these upgrades make a huge difference? It depends. For more memory intensive apps, obviously the answer is going to be yes. The Daily is a good example of this. It launches and works much more smoothly on the iPad 2 than on the iPad 1. And that’s without any optimization being done on their side. Certain games like Infinity Blade also load faster and generally seem to run a bit more smoothly. App switching as a whole is clearly faster. And you can have many more Safari browser windows open at once before Apple starts reloading them.

But the truth is that most of the apps weren’t slow to begin with on the iPad. The real key here will be what developers are able to do now that they know they have this second core and more RAM available to them. I suspect we’re going to see a lot of game-changing apps spring up on the iPad 2 that weren’t possible before. In fact, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly why Apple made GarageBand and iMovie — to show developers what they can now do. iMovie iPad 2-only (though it is available for the iPhone 4 as well). And they are awesome (again, more below).

Nuotrauka

Software

Speaking of software, earlier today, Apple unveiled iOS 4.3. It’s the OS that will come pre-installed on the iPad 2. There’s nothing hugely different from an aesthetic perspective from iOS 4.2, but a little digging does reveal some welcome additions.

The biggest of these is probably the new Nitro JavaScript engine that comes baked into Safari. Apple is touting huge improvements in terms of speed, and using JavaScript-heavy web apps like Facebook definitely shows a difference.

The other big additions are AirPlay upgrades and Home Sharing. AirPlay in iOS 4.3 now includes the ability for third-party apps to take advantage of it. Those apps aren’t out just yet, but hopefully they will be soon — so we can all kill cable. Home Sharing allows you to play your media from another machine on your WiFi network (just like from Mac to Mac). It works well — but I think we all just wished it worked over the web as well. Soon… soon.

For the iPad 2 specifically, two great pieces of software now bundled into iOS 4.3: FaceTime and Photo Booth. Both are iPad 2 only because both obviously require a camera. But Apple says that the real-time rendering for the 9-photo view in Photo Booth also requires the graphical power of the A5 chip.

Nuotrauka

FaceTime on the iPad 2 is particularly nice because the nearly 10-inch screen seems much better suited for the feature than the 3.5-inch screen found on the iPhone. I’m still not a huge fan of the mechanism for initially finding people to FaceTime with (especially because the iPad has no phone app), but once you establish that first connection, FaceTime is a breeze to use. And it remains WiFi-only, so the quality is solid.

OS X users will recognize Photo Booth immediately. It’s little more than a fun app, but again, it shows the type of graphical rendering capabilities the A5 is capable of.

The real software goods come from the aforementioned iMovie and also GarageBand. Both are sold separately for $4.99 in the App Store, and both are well worth the price.

The remarkable thing about both of them is that I like each more than I like their counterparts on OS X. These have been redesigned from the ground up to be useful on the big multi-touch screen that the iPad offers. And it’s amazing how usable they are. If Apple wants to sell a lot of iPad 2s, all they have to do is put them on display in Apple Stores with these two apps installed. When you’re using them, you’ll experience the kind of “wow, I can do this on this device?” type of feeling.

Again, I suspect Apple had multiple motivations for making these two apps. One one hands, they’re great apps that people will get a ton of use out of. One the other, they showcase that yes, the iPad is creating as well as consuming. And with the new chip and its graphical capabilities in the iPad 2, it can do a lot more. These will inspire third-party developers to aim higher.

Nuotrauka

The Smart Cover

Alongside the iPad 2, I also got to try out one of the new iPad 2 “smart” covers this past week. Simply put: I love this thing.

The first Apple iPad cover, in my opinion, was awful. This one is completely different, and has been designed to not only work with the iPad 2, but be symbiotic with it.

The cover attaches via magnets. This makes sure it is never mis-aligned. And just as important: this allows it to easily detach as well. And the cover can fold up to double as a stand for either typing (slightly elevating the iPad 2) or watching content (elevating the iPad 2 higher).

The coolest thing about it though is that it can put to sleep and wake up the iPad 2. Yes, with the cover you’ll no longer have to hit the sleep/wake button if you don’t want to. That speaks well for the button-less iPad of the future.

I would not be surprised if Apple actually puts these covers on display alongside the iPad 2s in the Apple Stores. I have little doubt that nearly everyone who buys an iPad 2 will also walk away with one of these covers as well if they get a chance to play with one. And that’s yet another genius move by Apple because they’re not exactly cheap at $39 (poly) and $69 (leather). This is Apple ensuring that they’re going to make that much more money on each iPad 2 sold. Brilliant.

Nuotrauka

Disappointments

The disappointments for the iPad 2 are largely the same as they were for the iPad 1. I still wish the thing was a little lighter. Holding it in one hand is fine in some positions, in others it gets tiring.

I also wish the screen was less reflective. You basically cannot read anything in direct sunlight.

Speaking of the screen, there had been a lot of talk about the iPad 2 getting a higher resolution “retina” display. Obviously, that didn’t happen. That would have been nice, but the iPad screen as it stands is already pretty great.

The rest of my complaints are largely software-based. I wish there was a way to sync media and apps over the air. I wish the notification system was better, etc. Hopefully Apple will have more to show along those lines in iOS 5 shortly.

Nuotrauka

So, Should You Buy It?

At this point, you’re probably thinking that the hardware, software, and smart cover all sound great. But you’re still wondering if you should buy one or not? If you don’t have an iPad and want one, it’s the easiest call in the world. Of course you should. This is everything that was great about the initial iPad, but better.

If you’re worried about another iPad coming out later this year, remember that it’s at least six to nine months away for something which may or may not even come — a lot can happen between now and then. And if it does come, maybe it will be aimed at a slightly different audience. Who knows. But if you’ve decided that you definitely want an iPad, you’ll probably just be dwelling on it over the next several months if you don’t take the plunge now.

For existing iPad owners, things are a bit murkier. If you have the disposable income, it’s a no-brainer to upgrade. Again, this is everything you like about the iPad 1, but better.

But if you just bought an iPad 1, or you don’t want to drop another several hundred dollars, it’s not like the iPad 1 will be out of date anytime soon. Sure, it may feel like older technology to the touch, but again, it largely looks and acts the same. My advice is just don’t visit an Apple Store or play with a friend’s iPad 2, or you’ll be tempted.

If you do decide you want one, deciding between the 3G versions versus the WiFi version is also a bit of a tricky call. If you have an iPhone 4 with the Personal Hotspot (or any smartphone with a hotspot feature), it’s probably best just to get the WiFi version, you’ll save some money. If you plan on taking the iPad out with you a lot or on trips in the U.S., maybe the 3G will be worth it.

Nuotrauka

Then it’s a question of AT&T 3G versus Verizon 3G (yes, there are two separate models). I played around with the AT&T model, and it worked well despite AT&T’s notoriously bad network in the San Francisco area. In terms of coverage, the same rule applies: the Verizon network is likely more reliable, but the AT&T network is faster. In fact, the AT&T 3G version of the iPad 2 has technology built in that the Verizon version does not that will make data speeds faster at optimal connections.

In terms of the other competition out there that doesn’t begin with a lowercase “i”, it’s becoming clearer by the day that most don’t yet stack up well against the iPad 1, let alone iPad 2. I’ve only played with a Xoom for a few minutes, and I was generally impressed, but apparently it’s very, very buggy. Just listen to Jason talk about it here.

The tablets from RIM and HP aren’t out yet, and the pricing details around them don’t sound too promising. (The iPad 2, by the way, starts at the same $499 price point of the original iPad.) Further, the app support for all of the rivals isn’t too promising right now either. That’s one of the iPad 2′s greatest advantages that doesn’t show up on a spec sheet.

There are now over 70,000 apps built specifically for the iPad. Obviously, not all of them are great or even good. But if just 10 percent are, that destroys the competition. And given that developers already have experience developing for this platform, they should be able to adjust quickly to make even better apps that take advantage of the iPad 2 hardware improvements. It just doesn’t look too good for rivals at this point.

And just for fun this time around, Apple threw in one more choice: white or black? Good luck with that one.

Let me sum all of this up in a simple way: the iPad 2, should you buy one? Maybe — it depends on a few factors. Will you want to buy one? Yes. Use that information wisely.

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Puikiai. :) Kažkaip tik keistai tas vaizdas per TV atrodo, matyt kažką netaip padaręs jis... ;)

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

Taigi jau senai žinoma, kad šendien bus galima jau pirkt. :) Beto, nepamiršk kad muitas kiek kainuos. :)

Ir taip, net neįsivaizduoju ką galima veikti su iPad 2, 16GB ir tik Wi-Fi modeliu... :)

Waiting for iPad 2 - how's the line?

Nuotrauka

We're standing (well, sitting) in line in Tampa waiting for the iPad 2. Arrived at 10am, and there were 50 people in line already at the Apple Store. The device doesn't go on sale until 5pm, and the line is full of folk with every possible Apple product (and one weirdo on a Kindle) consuming media and passing the time. Geeky conversations are the norm, and passerbys like to make fanboy comments.

Last year for the iPad launch Apple shut down the whole store from 3-5 to prepare for the iPad's launch. They haven't said yet what they'll be doing this year, but I imagine it will be the same. The only bummer is there's no power outlets and my MacBook Air is dead.

Vieno žmogelio tweet'as. :) Na, bet kam reik jo taip greit? Juk kainos nekils.. :)

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

iPad 2 Wifi Teardown ala ifixit

Nuotrauka

iPad 2 ships in 2-3 weeks

Nuotrauka

The new delay in availability impacts all of the models bar one at time of writing, with the black 64GB iPad WiFi + 3G on Verizon listed as shipping within 1-2 weeks. That will cost you $829, though. All other models, in black and white, aren’t expected until close to the end of the month, despite Apple’s limiting orders to two per customer.

Update: The 64GB Verizon model is now showing the same 2-3 week shipping estimate as the rest of the range.

Redagavo scalman

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

First iFixit Teardown Pics + Live Teardown from iFixyouri

Nuotrauka

And after the first unboxing photos and videos, here we have the first teardowns from iOS hardware experts iFixit and iFixyouri. The guys at iFixyouri are doing a live streaming teardown in collaboration with 9to5mac, they’re currently a heat gun to remove the front panel (which is attached with a lot of glue, as noticed by iFixit).

- iFixit is updating their iPad 2 WiFi teardown gallery as we speak, they’ve already discovered the iPad 2′s battery is just about the same of the iPad 1 – a 3.8V, 25 watt-hour unit.

- iPad 2 model number is A1395.

- Broadcom BCM5974 CKFBGH I/O microcontroller with NVM (also used in iPad 1)

- WiFi controller, again, from Broadcom: BCM43291HKUBC

- iPad uses three cells to achieve its 10 hour battery life

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Here’s the logic board, featuring the Apple A5 chip:

-- Apple A5
-- Toshiba TH58NVG7D2FLA89 16GB NAND Flash
-- Apple 343S0542
-- Texas Instruments (TBD)
-- S6T2MLC N33C50V Power Management IC

Nuotrauka

The teardown reveals a tiny gyroscope (AGD8 2103) and small speakers, in spite of the big speaker grill the iPad has on its back:

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

- iFixyouri claims the iPad 2 has no water damage sensors.

---

Confirmed ! iPad 2 3G on AT&T Is Sold Unlocked In United States

Even though the first-gen iPad 3G was sold unlocked in United States, there was a certain amount of uncertainty this time (because of two carriers: AT&T and Verizon) on whether or not Apple will sell it unlocked again in this region.

As expected, the 3G version of iPad 2 has been confirmed by MuscleNerd as being sold carrier unlocked in United States.

Confirming iPad2 is carrier unlocked: http://is.gd/PAwtPX (same BB as iPhone…unlock status is in per-device "seczone")

The iPad2 unlock status was completely expected, just confirming it for those who want to use T-Mobile instead of AT&T. Doesn’t apply to i4

Here is a screenshot of iPad 2 3G running on a T-Mobile network.

Nuotrauka

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

The Smart Cover: Revisited & Reviewed

Nuotrauka

When I wrote about the genius of Apple’s Smart Cover for the iPad 2, I didn’t need to have it in hand to make my bold assertion. The Smart Cover had sold itself before anyone needed to touch it, thanks in part to Apple’s well done product showcase. It is the first accessory offered as you purchase an iPad 2 online, and the Apple store representative I was with made sure I knew all about the must-have covers. Apple is aggressively putting the spotlight on Smart Covers wherever they can, and for good reason. Put simply, this is the accessory you’ll want to buy with your next iPad.

Polyurethane vs. leather Smart Covers

Apple sells two types of smart covers selling for $39 and $69 respectively in polyurethane and leather. Think of the polyurethane colors as you’d think of the iPod nano, coming in several bright hues such as blue, pink, and orange. The leather cases are more reserved in appearance, taking on darker tones in browns, black, and navy. The exception is the (PRODUCT) RED case, with a portion of the proceeded being donated to fight HIV/AIDs in Africa. In person, the Smart Covers look lighter in appearance than they do on Apple’s website.

Nuotrauka

You can’t go wrong with either material. Having purchased Smart Covers for both Federico and myself, I wanted to see the difference between leather and polyurethane. Despite the $39 price tag for the polyurethane case, it doesn’t feel cheap. I had the expectation that it would be a revisit of the iPad case for the original iPad, but I was mistaken.

The main difference is this: the polyurethane cover has a strong, firm quality to it that is smooth on the hands. If you want to save $30 you can’t go wrong with with grey for example, which looks great with either the white or black iPad 2. The leather Smart Cover smells like leather, is softer, and has a more professional edge to it. The texture is sticky like real leather, and it will show wear over time. Think about the idea of strapping your iPad in a leather jacket. Both the polyurethane and leather Smart Covers are premium products.

Protection, metaphors, and utility

I get cranky when people talk about needing protection for their iPad. Having owned the original iPad since its inception, the aluminum nor glass has been scratched from daily use. I’m a strong believer that the iPad’s aluminum is scratch resistant, and I also believe in taking good care of the products I own. You can’t prevent accidents, but if you avoid being careless your iPad 2 will be just fine in its lifespan.

Nuotrauka

The Smart Cover offers everything you need and nothing you don’t. Part of Apple’s philosophy is that the device itself deserves to be held in your hands, without any barrier. The Smart Cover kills a few birds with one stone in this respect, as it accomplishes three things:

1. The iPad 2 retains its thinness, and the aluminum remains bare (part of the iPad’s user experience involves appreciating the quality of the device itself).
2. The most crucial element of the iPad, the display, is protected and cleaned by the microfiber.
3. As Apple understands how customers want to use the iPad 2, the Smart Cover adds utility as a typing or viewing stand.

You have to keep in mind that Apple (Steve Jobs in particular) is a company that likes to say “no” to unnecessary features or design choices. The Smart Covers are a prefect example of that, adding only utility to the iPad without hindering the device’s intended form factor.

Nuotrauka

Smart Covers aren’t intended to be permanently affixed to the iPad 2. They’re temporary in design, allowing users to remove the Smart Cover or reapply it when needed. If I’m reading or sitting on the couch, I simply tear the Smart Cover off and leave it on the end table. When I move into the kitchen, I simply snap the Smart Cover on and fold it back to type on the table or countertop.

Without magnets, the Smart Cover is nothing

What makes the Smart Cover so intuitive are the three magnetic areas that snap the cover to the iPad 2, help maintain the stand’s shape when in use, and allow iPad owners to fold the Smart Cover in half behind the iPad. Customers can clearly see from Apple’s demos that the aluminum binder has a magnet, and so does the first flap that holds the cover to the right edge of the iPad (securing it flat). The last flap on the left also has a magnet to lock the first flap in place as it folds into a stand. It’s quite an ingenious design considering we’re finally out of an era where we used elastic straps to hold covers in place.

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

The binder itself that attaches to the iPad 2 is especially interesting. The binder is made up of four parts: two end caps, a rod which the Smart Cover is secured to, and a magnetic bumper which is what clicks to the iPad. As both the iPad and the binder are made out of aluminum, small plastic stopgaps keep the end caps from rubbing against the iPad, and a large strip on the inside of the binder offers the same protection. With the Smart Cover secured in place, the binder and the iPad 2 appear to be a single unit, though a minuscule gap between the accessory and iPad can be noticed upon inspection.

The Smart Cover in use

There was some concern as to how the binder would affect how you held the iPad in your left hand. I personally don’t think it makes much a difference with the Smart Cover attached, if it all. You can fold the Smart Cover into a stand and hold it as a large binder, or fold the Smart Cover in half and tuck it behind the iPad. With the Smart Cover behind the iPad in full, the front panel has a tendency to rock along the curved right edge. If you’re reading your iPad like this, just tear the Smart Cover off until you need it again. That is the design intention for this product.

Nuotrauka

While typing, the Smart Cover doesn’t flex or rock as you address emails or surf the web. The angle is slight (comfortable like Apple’s Wireless Keyboard), though some may be disappointed that the curves of the iPad 2 trap the volume rocker and mute/rotation toggle underneath in this position. Simply lift the front of your iPad and access the controls if needed, but the multitasking bar and playback controls ideally fill in this gap.

Nuotrauka

As a viewing stand, the iPad doesn’t make contact with the underlying surface (provide it’s flat). The iPad 2 actually sits on the binder, leaning on the magnetic stand for its remaining support. The iPad 2 does wobble a little bit as you touch the screen, but it doesn’t risk falling forward. If you push with your finger hard enough on the iPad, it could potentially fall backwards (the force required to do that is rather extreme). I’d say the stand works as intended – those disappointed in Apple’s original case will find the Smart Cover works significantly better.

The Verdict

I have a feeling you’ll be able to get a lot of use with your Smart Cover before it wears out. The covers seem sturdy and rugged enough to last a while, and the additional utility it provides is worth with the additional $39 (minimum). Whatever color or material you choose, Apple’s “just enough” mentality elegantly drapes your iPad in a color that matches your vibrant personality, while only adding features and not bulk in the process. The genius of Apple’s Smart Cover is proven.

Ehhh, kad tokį tik mažesnį kas iPhone 4'ąjam sukurtų... :thumbsup4:

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

ok nejau apple tikrai nesinori isleist apple pultelio kokio savo zaidimam spec ji pasigautu tabletas ar iphone,padetum tu bleta ir valdytum normaliai pasijunges prie HDTV. na kiek tu palosi laikydamas rankose visa tableta. viska jau parode,duokit pulteli ir zmones losia. aisku kad jie gyvenime nepadarys palaikymo jokiu kitu irenginiu,juk apple. android gali laisvai, bet ne apple. nors velgi islenda visokie kiti niuansai.app sotre juk zaidimau budavao po kelis $ palyginus su next gen zaidimu kainom aisku. tai dabar naujus HD zaidimus jie kokiom kainom paleis. vat geresne grafika ir daugiau galios ir prasideda tada kainu kilimas ant visko.

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

ok nejau apple tikrai nesinori isleist apple pultelio kokio savo zaidimam spec ji pasigautu tabletas ar iphone,padetum tu bleta ir valdytum normaliai pasijunges prie HDTV. na kiek tu palosi laikydamas rankose visa tableta. viska jau parode,duokit pulteli ir zmones losia. aisku kad jie gyvenime nepadarys palaikymo jokiu kitu irenginiu,juk apple. android gali laisvai, bet ne apple. nors velgi islenda visokie kiti niuansai.app sotre juk zaidimau budavao po kelis $ palyginus su next gen zaidimu kainom aisku. tai dabar naujus HD zaidimus jie kokiom kainom paleis. vat geresne grafika ir daugiau galios ir prasideda tada kainu kilimas ant visko.

Gal ir padarys tą pultelį, kai koks developeris sugalvos tai... :thumbsup4:

---

iPad 2 in Car, Ford F150, First ever, Facetime in your dash

Nuotrauka

Amazing video, Check out the new iPad 2 become the sickest vehicle navigation system. They take a brand new Ford F150 and gut the Microsoft Sync system, and replace it with a fresh iPad 2.

---

iPad 2: Thoughts, Questions & Answers

Nuotrauka

Short of a full review, I wanted to go over some of the sporadic thoughts I’ve had while using the iPad 2. I want this to be a place where you can leave questions in the comments, and where I’ll update this post as ideas come to mind. These aren’t quite initial reactions, but more of an unfolding conversation in response to a new discovery or comment. Many of the initial reviews left me a little unsatisfied, and I want to fill that gap with burning questions about what’s on your mind. I can’t answer app compatibility questions, but feel free to plug away about the iPad 2.

The iPad 2 was inspired by the iPod touch 4th gen

Everything from the flat backing to the rounded edges of the iPad 2 represents the same transition the iPod touch made from the 2nd & 3rd gen models to the 4th. The iPod touch became dramatically slimmer, seeing a reduction of 1.3 mm While the weight was trimmed by 14 grams, thus the new iPod almost feels heavier because it’s so dense. That solidness and density was the first thing I immediately picked up on while holding the iPad 2. Clearly, the design of the most recent iPod touch had a significant impact on Cupertino’s latest iPad. On both devices, the buttons are located on the rounded edge behind the display.

Nuotrauka

Holding the iPod touch next to the iPad 2 shows you just how similar the curves are. Look at the angles.

Apple took out all the air

Many people attributed the first iPad with being too heavy, but I think many overlooked the flat edge around the bezel. Alone, they attributed about 6 mm of depth to the entirety of the iPad. It’s obvious to me now that thickness, not weight, was the ultimate issue.

The first iPad feels hollow, and that assertion is promptly justified as you tap your knuckles against the aluminum back. The old iPad doesn’t feel swollen, but rather airy. The iPad 2 is so dense that it feels heavier than the first iPad, even though it only weighs 601 grams (WiFi model) compared to the original 680 grams. It’s a very strange comparison with both iPads in each hand, though the math works out: I feel less fatigue holding the iPad 2.

Nuotrauka

Apple took a vacuum and sucked all the air out with the iPad 2. It reminds me of this commercial.

The back of the iPad 2

The edges of the iPad are of course very well done, and aren’t sharp enough to cause discomfort. The aluminum backing is the same as the first iPad (I was asked about this on Twitter awhile ago), though the Apple logo is slightly smaller. From crest to crest (not including the stem), the iPad 2′s apple measures roughly 24.5 mm in length, while the original iPad’s measures 26 mm in length. The placement of the iPad’s information compliance and model information is the same.

Noticeably, the biggest change is that the volume rocker, mute switch, camera, and speaker port all reside on the back of the iPad 2. The volume rocker and mute switch are inaccessible if you’re typing with the Smart Cover, but the buttons themselves don’t make contact with a flat surface. For those worried about protecting the camera, the slight curve of the iPad just barely keeps it off the table. The perforated speaker ports look much better in person than they have in any photograph, and you can’t really feel them as you run your fingers over the perforations.

Nuotrauka

Nuotrauka

Remember, the iPad 2 was carved out of aluminum with lasers. It’s very precise.

The front of the iPad 2

From the front, the iPad seems significantly smaller. It not only looks better thanks to only a sliver of aluminum lining the edge, but it looks more like a picture frame. Unless you had the original iPad and the iPad 2 side by side, you may wonder if the screen itself is a tad bit smaller, but the bezel itself is actually larger. Between the bezel and the aluminum edge, there is a black strip that frames the glass. On the sides, I measured 24 mm on both the iPad and iPad 2 between the display and this strip. On the top and bottom, I measured 25 mm in width on the original iPad, and 26 mm in width on the iPad 2. You’ll notice that the home button is centered on the iPad 2, while it looks uneven on the original iPad. The distance between the bottom of the home button and the edge of the case is 4 mm on the iPad 2, and only 3 mm on the original iPad.

With the reduction of the aluminum edge, Apple has removed 2 mm from the edge of the iPad. Looking at the original specifications, the old iPad was 189.7 mm wide. The new iPad is 185.7 mm wide (remember, 2 mm on each edge). Length is about the same with the increase of the bezel, as the iPads measure 242.8 mm and 241.2 mm respectively. Due to the smaller strip and lack of aluminum edging on the iPad 2, the entire bezel does look smaller.

The ambient light sensor is about 3 mm above the front camera. Unlike the MacBooks, there is no indicator light revealing whether or not the camera is on. While I don’t feel this is necessary on an iPhone, I do feel like I want that extra security with the computer-like iPad 2.

Nuotrauka

I noticed the home button retains its firm click, but the sound is more subdued in the iPad 2′s smaller frame.

The white iPad 2

If you’re deciding on whether to buy the iPad 2, you need to only look at your nearest Magic Mouse to make the decision. The shade of white is the same, and it’s not as bright (or glaring) as many photographs make the white iPad out to be. It looks very nice in person, but under the artificial night lights of the Apple Store it’s hard to pass final judgement.

I did notice that my eyes remain attracted to the content and not the white edge. Again, this may be attributed to the lighting in the Apple Store. I have a feeling that the white iPad is very reflective of the lighting in its environment, and it may look brighter under your sunny kitchen window. I’d like some commenters who bought a white iPad yesterday evening to chime in on this, and I’ll publish your thoughts here.

The volume rocker and mute/rotation toggle on the iPad 2 (10:09 PM)

@Lessien mentioned on Twitter that the buttons on the iPad 2 are de-emphasized. I don’t think I can agree with that. While Apple hides the iPad’s controls out of view, their importance is emphasized with the curved edge. The rocker and toggle are admittedly harder to access on the iPad, despite being in plain sight on a flat edge. If you think about where you place your hands, your fingers inevitably end up behind the iPad. On the iPad 2, your fingers can simply feel out the control’s ergonomic placement. The curved edge especially accentuates the controls , which seem more pronounced than the original iPad’s (the difference between the two is slight). With the flat edge on the iPad one, the controls require a lot of fidgeting as you have to bring your fingers to the side of the iPad. On the iPad 2, your fingers are already where the controls are — on the back of the iPad.

Let’s not forget, iOS 4.3 is bringing power back to the people by letting them choose to use the toggle for muting system sounds or for locking orientation.

Where I answer questions

Q: “My concern is about the RAM, and how much (average) apps 512MB can handle without the need to reload the app and/or tab.”

A: So how exactly does the iPad 2 fare when it comes to re-loading webpages as you dive in and out of Safari, and between websites? Let’s examine the issue.

A big role in tablet computing is improving how we browse the web. On the first iPad, it often became an issue that websites would reload when we switched between the pages in Safari. Both potential and previous customers have complained about it, and many are curious as to how the iPad 2 fares with 512 MB of RAM. The way pages are handled on the iPad 2 are very interesting (this could be the result of a change in iOS 4.3 as well), and I think many will be satisfied with the results.

For my tests, I loaded a total of nine webpages in Safari, starting with our own homesite. I had closed all other applications in the multitasking bar beforehand. From there, I proceeded to load Engadget, Gizmodo (which unfortunately took me to the mobile site), Mashable, TechCrunch, GDGT, Amazon, SlashGear, and GigaOM. Loading a new site each time, I proceeded to re-open all of the previous sites. To my surprise, none of the web pages reloaded, even if I had done extensive shopping at Amazon where lots of images were loaded. Quite amazed, I proceeded to see what would happen if I left Safari and opened a few apps.

Firstly, I played a round of Canabalt, dying at 1800 meters after missing a jump having tripped over a cardboard box. For once I hadn’t missed the second glass window, but I still managed to muck it up in relatively short period of time. Double tapping the home button, I loaded Safari. Having left Safari at the page view, it returned with many white squares in replacement of site previews. Yet in a matter of a second or two, these previews reloaded before I could tap into an page. This sounds methodically slow, but the iPad 2 handles open pages much better than the original iPad did before the iOS 4.3 (I point this out as I haven’t yet tested how webpages load extensively on the original iPad with the latest iOS). Somehow, the iPad 2 caches webpages in such a way that when you click into a page, the page doesn’t reload. I could see the possibility of a rare occurrence, but it seems Apple as figured out how to reload pages in the background, rather than obtrusively interrupting your browsing experience. It’s all very seamless.

I further tested this by starting a new game of Dead Space, watching a half-hour of Hulu, and even checking direct messages on Twitter. Every time I returned to Safari, pages would load in the background, and not while I was browsing a website. If you’re wondering whether or not the iPad 2 has a significant impact on web browsing, it does.

Čia jai kam įdomu. :]

Redagavo Moo

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

iPad 2 in Car, Ford F150, First ever, Facetime in your dash

Nuotrauka

Amazing video, Check out the new iPad 2 become the sickest vehicle navigation system. They take a brand new Ford F150 and gut the Microsoft Sync system, and replace it with a fresh iPad 2.

taip jau senai noriu pasidaryt savo masinoj, bet iPadui nebutu tiek vietos, daugiau ziurejau i 7" modelius, o idejimas daug paprasciau padaromas, nes nereikia ardyt ir perdarinet paneles, o tik isimt originalu maga ir toj vietoj padaryt vieta tabletui.

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

Ne į temą

taip jau senai noriu pasidaryt savo masinoj, bet iPadui nebutu tiek vietos, daugiau ziurejau i 7" modelius, o idejimas daug paprasciau padaromas, nes nereikia ardyt ir perdarinet paneles, o tik isimt originalu maga ir toj vietoj padaryt vieta tabletui.

Jep, bet ne visos masinos turi tas mages, kad galetum ta 7" tablet'a ikist ten. :)

Dalintis šiuo pranešimu

Nuoroda į pranešimą

Prisijunkite prie pokalbio

Jūs galite rašyti dabar, o registruotis vėliau. Jeigu turite paskyrą, prisijunkite dabar, kad rašytumėte iš savo paskyros.

Svečias
Parašykite atsakymą...

×   Įdėta kaip raiškusis tekstas.   Įdėti kaip grynąjį tekstą

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Nuorodos turinys įdėtas automatiškai.   Rodyti kaip įprastą nuorodą

×   Jūsų anksčiau įrašytas turinys buvo atkurtas.   Išvalyti redaktorių

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.